Saturday, December 25, 2010

What is Waldorf Education?


What is Waldorf Education? It is many things to many people. The first time I went to a Waldorf school, I was part of a group that was on a tour. We began our visit on a beautiful deck overlooking the Maui valley. The leader of the tour was giving an overview of the school, and I was tuning in and out as I looked at the beautiful view.

Tour guide: Blah blah blah …. Waldorf education was developed to rid the world of war. Blah blah blah.”

Me: Huh? Sorry? Excuse me. What was that?

Tour guide: I was saying that we promote the healthy eating of organic products in order that our students…

Me: … no, the bit about war.

Tour guide: Rudolf Steiner started the school in Germany after World War I. He and his first teachers hoped to create a learning environment that promoted peace and understanding.

Me: Sign me up! 

1 comment:

  1. If I were younger and less tied down, I would DEFINITELY sign up as well! I am very proud of both of you! Hugs and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete